Student Policy for the using the Laser Cutter
Woodbury University is committed to providing the highest level of professional education in its undergraduate and graduate programs with a goal to prepare graduates who are articulate, ethical and innovative life-long learners. Exposure to the use of technologies is vital to those who are starting careers in every field. The value of the skills acquired from use of the laser cutter will help to increase the competitive value of students in their respective industries.
Laser cutting is a technology that uses a laser to cut materials, typically used for industrial manufacturing. Laser cutting can be compared to cutting material with a computer controlled miniature torch. As a result, the material melts, burns or vaporizes, leaving an edge with a high quality surface finish. The laser cutter at Woodbury University (Burbank campus) is currently housed in the Design Center. Our laser cutter is a Versa Laser brand studio based carbon dioxide (CO2) laser, and the Epilog Legend 36XT Laser Cutter. The Versa Laser cutter is a table top unit with a cutting surface of 24” x 12”, and the Epilog Legend 36XT has a cutting surface of 24” x 36”.
There is a fee of $0.45 per minute while the laser cutter is actively processing a material. There is no charge for setting up your file in the computer.
The laser cutter lab has two machines available for cutting/etching materials:
Device: Versa Laser VL300
Maximum Cutting Surface: 12” x 24” surface
Maximum Cutting Depth: 1/8” cutting depth
Device: Epilog Legend 36XT
Maximum Cutting Surface: 24” x 36” surface
Maximum Cutting Depth: 1/8” cutting depth
Maximum Cutting Surface
Equipment Errors and Failures
You are using the equipment at your own risk. If the equipment fails to cut or etch your material as requested, you will not be charged for the minutes spent on processing the material, on that particular job.
Procedures / How To Get Started
- Make a reservation by either signing up at the Laser Lab, or by calling 818.767.0888 x358 (during regular lab hours). When making a reservation, you may choose between the 24” x 36” laser cutter, or the 12” x 24” laser cutter. Reservations can be made up to one week in advance. Each user may only reserve a one hour session per day, and up to three hours per week. Please note that reservations occur on approximate times, and not exact times.
- Plan how you want your material to be processed.
- Come to your reservation with your materials and your fully-completed file in a USB flash drive (in PDF or EPS format). If your file is not ready for use, we have the right to postpone your reservation.
- Log into the computer with your Computer Lab Logon Account and agree to the Terms of Service. There is a charge of $0.45 per minute for the machine to actively cut/etch your material. There is no charge for the time required to set up your file.
- The laser cutter technician will process your file and material.
- Upon completion of your appointment, please log out of the computer. A copy of the receipt will be sent to you via email. An invoice will be issued by the Business Office via your tuition statement on a monthly cycle.
You may reserve to use a machine up to one hour per day, and a maximum of three hours per week. Please calculate your time and do not run overtime, and be considerate of other students’ need to use the lab. You may use your scheduled Laser Lab time for either training or cutting purposes.
When arriving for your appointment, please bring your:
· Fully-completed file (in PDF or EPS format)
Please be on time. You will forfeit your entire one-hour session if you are more than five minutes late. Please contact the lab if you cannot make your session. This will allow us to assist other users who’ve signed up for time. Failure to show up for your appointment may result in subsequent appointments being cancelled.
Please be sure your files are sized correctly for the laser cutter you reserved. Your file must either be under 24” x 36” (width x length), or be under 12” x 24” (width x length) – depending on the machine you reserved.
If your cut runs overtime, we have the right to stop processing your material. Please make sure your files are formatted correctly, and please use your time effectively (as time is limited).
If a user does not show up for their reservation, their time slot will be forfeited to the next user that signed up. Users may not give their reservation to others who have not reserved time on the same day.
Use of Lab
You may use the lab only for class projects and university related activities. The laser is not to be used for personal use or for profit. The lab will be used for cutting only, no project construction is allowed in the lab. Glue is not permitted in the lab at any time. If you have any questions about the use of the laser cutter, or how to set up your file(s), you may sign up for a 30 minute consultation session. For safety reasons, food and drinks are prohibited in the lab.
Hours of Operation (Based on Technician Availability)
Operating hours are dependent upon technician availability, and may change as necessary. As of September 1st 2009, the hours of operation are as follows:
Laser Cutter Lab @ Design Center – D3
Laser Lab schedule is based upon technician availability.
||8:00 am - 4:30 pm|
||9:00 am - 10:00 pm|
||1:00 pm - 10:00 pm|
||3:00 pm - 7:00 pm|
||8:00 am - 8:00 pm|
||1:00 pm - 8:00 pm|
||11:30 am - 8:00 pm|
You may work on the Laser Cutter only with a Laser Cutter Technician who knows all rules and adheres to them, no matter how experienced you are with the Laser Cutter. Laser Cutter Technicians will assist you during your one-on-one scheduled session.
Use of Materials
Use only materials on the approved materials list. If you wish to cut a different material that is not on the material list, you will need to get approval in advance from a computer lab supervisor. We reserve the right to deny the use of certain materials based on suitability and safety reasons.
Maximum size for materials is 12” x 24” for the Versa Laser cutter, and up to 24” x 36” for the Epilog Legend 36XT laser cutter. The maximum cutting depth for both machines is 1/8”.
Materials Approved on the Laser Cutter
- Paper, Cardboard, Museum Board, Chipboard
- Corrugated Cardboard
- Fabric and leather
- Wood veneer
- Plexiglas/acrylic (only for Epilog Legend 36XT)
- Thin Plywood (only for etching)
Materials Prohibited on the Laser Cutter
- Foam Core Board of any thickness
- Glass, mirror, Lucite, lexan, pvd, styrene, polycarbonate
- Any material over 1/8” thickness
* This list is subject to change
The laser cutter can be run using various file formats (see file format list). Be sure that you have reviewed your lines for accuracy before visiting the lab. Bring your files on a flash drive. Name your files with your last name, project name and date.
For cutting: use only vector files (eps, pdf)
For etching: use either vector or jpg files