F-2 Dependent Information
How to Apply for F-2 Status
Prospective/New Woodbury Univeristy F-1 Students:
1. Before the F-1 student submits his/her online application to Woodbury University, the student should enter the Dependent Information under the International Applicants only section.
a. Additional proof of financial support is required
b. The Dependent I-20 will be processed with the Initial I-20 for the student
Important Note: If the I-20 is for a spouse, the marriage certificate issuance date must be earlier than the dependent I-20 issuance date. Failure to completely or correctly enter the Dependent Information on the online application may delay processing of the dependent I-20.
2. If the F-1 student has already submitted his/her application to Woodbury University without dependent information, but has decided to request a
dependent I-20, the F-1 student should email firstname.lastname@example.org
with the following information:
a. Dependent Information (as on dependent’s passport):
1. Surname and Given name
3. Relationship to F-1 student
4. Date of Birth
5. Country of Birth
6. Country of Citizenship
b. Additional proof of financial support
c. Copy of marriage certificate if not married at the time online application was submitted
Important Note: The Dependent I-20 and an updated Initial I-20 for the F-1 student will be processed and mailed out at the same time.
3. The dependent I-20 will be mailed to the current mailing address indicated on the application.
4. The dependent(s) applies for the F-2 visa at a U.S. embassy/consulate in their home country with their dependent I-20 along with other supporting
documents as required by the embassy/consulate
. Dependents should apply for the Dependent F-2 visa with F-1 student.
Current Woodbury University F-1 Students:
1. Set up an appointment with an International Student Advisor
a. Provide proof of financial support
Important Note: If the I-20 is for a spouse, the marriage certificate issuance date must be earlier than the dependent I-20 issuance date.
2. The F-1 student is responsible for picking up the dependent I-20(s) and delivering them (either by mail or in person) to the dependent
3. The dependent(s) applies for the F-2 visa at a U.S. embassy/consulate in their home country with their dependent I-20 along with other supporting documents as required by the embassy/consulate.
OR IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO APPLY IN THE U.S. & YOUR SPOUSE IS ALREADY AN F-1 STUDENT:
- Fill out I-539 form for change of status.
- Obtain new "Dependent" I-20 from International Student Advisor.
- Photocopy of your new I-20 and all previous I-20s
- Photocopy of your spouse's new I-20 along with all previous I-20s.
- Photocopy of financial documentation (e.g., bank statements).
- Photocopy of marriage certificate
- Photocopy of current passport, visa, and I-94.
- A check for $370.00 made out to "USCIS" for change of status.
- A cover letter from you addressed to USCIS requesting change of status and explaining circumstances.
- Be aware that changing your status this way could take several months.
Travel for Dependents
F-2 dependents are not required to travel with the primary F-1. However, the F-2 dependent must carry the following documents required for re-entry to the U.S.:
- Valid Passport (valid for at least 6 months beyond the date of the re-entry to the U.S.).
- Valid F-2 visa in passport (except dependents from Canada).
- F-2 dependent I-20 with a valid travel signature from an International Student Advisor on page 3 (signatures are valid for 6 months).
- Copies of the most current immigration documents (I-20, passport, F-1 visa, I-94 Arrival/Departure record) of the primary F-1 (if traveling separately).
- If the primary F-1 is on post-completion OPT, F-2 dependents should carry copies of the F-1’s OPT I-20, EAD card and job offer letter.
F-2 dependents are able to remain in the U.S. without the F-1 as long as the F-1 maintains status and will return to the U.S. after a temporary absence using the same SEVIS ID number.