Getting a Social Security Number
Do I Need a Social Security Number Before I Start Working?
We do not require you to have a Social Security number before you start work. However, the Internal Revenue Service requires employers to report wages using a Social Security number. While you wait for your social Security number, your employer can use a letter from us stating that you applied for a number. Your employer may use your immigration documents as proof of your authorization to work in the United States. Employers can find more information on the Internet at http://www.socialsecurity.gov/employer/hiring.htm
How do I Apply for a Social Security Number?
2. Schedule an appointment with the International Student Advisor to obtain a letter to confirm employment eligibility.
3. Obtain additional employment eligibility letter from supervisor (you will have a total of 2 letters).
4. Gather original travel documents (I-94, I-20, and passport) to prove the following information:
- IMMIGRATION STATUS (I-20 & I-94)
- WORK ELIGIBILITY (One letter from DSO and one letter from supervisor [2 letters] confirming employment)
- AGE (Passport)
- IDENTITY (Passport)
5.) Take your completed application, 2 letters, and original travel documents to your local Social Security office:
1420 West Olive Avenue, Burbank, CA 91506
Telephone Number: 1-800-772-1213
(For the deaf or hard of hearing, call TTY number, 1-800-325-07780)
Monday through Friday: 9am-4pm (except on Wednesdays: 9am-12 pm)
Automated phone service 24 hours a day.
Normal processing time for a new social security card is approximately 3-5 business days.
Please also note that you must be a Woodbury student for at least one year to qualify for off-campus/CPT employment.