Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content

Selective Service Registration

If you are a male and between the ages of 18 and 25 you may receive a notice from the U.S. government’s Selective Service System (SSS) that you have been registered. Registration means that your data has been provided to the US government in the event that the US military needs to call up more soldiers than those who are already serving as volunteers. Even though such registration is normally only required of US citizens and US permanent residents, foreign nationals on non-immigrant visas may receive a notice in their mail, informing them of their registration.​

How does this happen?

Many states, including New York and California, have enacted legislation which links SSS registration with the process of applying for a driver's license or state identification card. This is done to ensure compliance with the Selective Service registration requirement.

But, foreign nationals who are male and who are in the United States on student or visitor visas, and men who are part of a diplomatic or trade mission and their families are NOT required to register for Selective Service!!  Please refer to this website: Selective Service.

If you receive (or have received) such a notice, return the Selective Service registration card and a photocopy of your I-94 departure card, along with a letter of explanation, to:

Selective Service System

PO Box 94636

Palatine, IL 60094-4636

Be sure to keep a copy for your records. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact the International Student Advisor at 818-252-5265 or at